Thank You For So Many Blessings!

It was quite a tearful experience for both of us, as I shared the hundreds of prayers and encouraging messages that were posted from Clark’s students, friends, fans, fellow musicians, and family around the world. He said, “Please tell everybody that I love them very, very much. I can’t thank them enough for all of those beautiful words.”

He is more determined than ever to “keep on keepin’ on.” With God’s grace and your powerful faith, I’m so glad to let you know that he’s been transferred from the Intensive Care Unit into a private room. With such an outpouring of love from you, he has a healthy appetite for solid foods and is getting stronger daily.

His doctors are keeping a close eye on him, and they haven’t documented any new complications since his right leg was amputated mid-thigh last Wednesday. His primary care physician, Dr. Simmie Armstrong, reported, “We still have a long road ahead, but he’s a tough trooper. We can all learn a lot from him.”

Clark said, “When I face adversity, I lace up my bootstraps and wade on through. And everyday I’m grateful to Big Prez (his nickname for God).” As we look forward to his 91st birthday on December 14th, I asked him what he’d want if he could have his heart’s desire, and he answered, “Another birthday.”

You have made him so happy, and we are extremely appreciative.

Please continue to keep him on your prayer list.

45 Responses to Thank You For So Many Blessings!

1. Alex Dahne says:

Happy (belated) Birthday, Clark!! I was flying from NYC to San Francisco yesterday and didn’t have a chance to write. I did note the date, however, and I smiled at the thought of you surrounded by friends and family. I’m sorry to hear about your leg, but I’m thrilled to hear that you’re doing well, looking forward, celebrating what’s important. Take good care, and warm wishes, Alex

2. Brent A. Broussard / Boz says:

Happy Birthday!! May many more of your wishes come true! Love and Prayers,

3. Paul Tomashefsky says:

Happy Birthday to a Jazz Master & The Most Humble Human being to grace this planet! GodSpeed on your recovery and your continued ability to entertain us with your Musical Gifts! Love to you & Gwen xoxo

Paul Tomashefsky (Worcester, MA)

Happy Birthday Clark,
    I wish you a very very happy birthday and I wish you everything I can offer. My prayers are still being sent out as well as everyone who has come to know you. You truly give every single person strength do be persistent in everything that their doing. May your christmas be merry and god bless.

Lots of love,

5. Happy,Happy,Happy,Happy,Happy,Happy,Happy Birthday to you…

6. Horst Trumpet Player Brass Offerings says:

Happy Birthday Clark, we are hopeful of your healness. And we are proud for the good times we have together in Germany with the the UNH Big Band with Dave Sailer and Chris Humphry on 1990. We learned a lot from you.
    God bless you & Gwen

We pray for you.

Happy birthday! All of us at the shop have you in our thoughts and prayers. You have been an inspiration to all of us for years and your spirit and determination continue to be an inspiration. Here’s to a quick recovery and many more years of joy and music!

Bob Reeves + Staff

8. Bill Saxonis says:

All best wishes to a man as magnificent as the notes from his trumpet and a towering inspiration to his legions of fans from around the world… Our chats at various Duke Ellington conferences will always be cherished memories.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, C.T.!!!!!!!!!!!! i thank Big Prez and “all the powers that be” that i am able to communicate these wishes to you for a happy, healthy year ahead!

peace and blessings to you and Gwen and all your loved ones. can you believe how many people love you, man?!? you’ve made a lot of causes for that to be the case!! keep on, dear Clark. continued strength and courage to both of you. much love.

Valerie Bishop

10. Happy Birthday and well wishes from all of us at the Monterey Jazz Festival!

11. Valerie Takacs says:

Clark, I wish you the Happiest of Birthdays and a year of peace, love and joy. God has truly blessed you with a wonderful wife, and a host of friends, some of whom you have never met, but who hold you in their hearts. You and Gwen are in my daily prayers. God Bless!!!

12. Tracy Kirk says:

Happy B-Day Clark’

Dispite your health challenges you still provide insparation for all of us musicians. I’ve had the pleasure to play behind you with both chicago jazz ensemble & chicago jazz orchestra (jazz members big band), I’m still humbled by your presence. Please get well soon

13. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR CLARK TERRY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and may all the scales line up for you as you advance through life’s progression. Thought you might get a kick out of this story–my mom used to work in housekeeping at a major Boston Hospital and there was a Dr. Strayhorn there. My mom used to be a dancer at Roseland in New York and so asked Dr. Strayhorn if he was related to Billy Strayhorn–he said “Yes”, he was my uncle. Also, I was an original jazz baby raised by owner/operators of Jazz Workshop/Paul’s Mall (Varty and Charlie Lake who was Dizzy’s road manager for many many years)and I’m still in there plugging away. I’m a singer who’s too old to shake my booty anymore, so I’m learning how to play jazz piano at University of Hawaii. I’m getting pretty good, so I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Anyway, as John Lennon once said (we lost him at age 40) A Very Merry Christmas, And a Happy New Year, let’s have a good one, without any fear. Love and thanks for all the great music. Thankyou for taking such good care of Mr. Terry. Love and best wishes, Michelle Simonds from Boston, MA, now in Honolulu, Hawaii (soon to be in L.A.) Ha, ha, I’m still looking for gigs.

14. Justin Vargo says:

Mr. Terry,

I’m sorry to hear of your recent health problems, but I’m glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery. I hope that you are having a happy birthday. Keep on keepin’ on, and thank you for being an inspiration with your music and attitude. I’m looking forward to listening to your ‘Porgy and Bess’ album later and will be sending positive thoughts your way.

15. Victor Rodriguez says:

Happy Birthday or Feliz Cumpleanos CT! The “Rodriguez’s” are sending you many birthday wishes and blessings. The sooner you get better, the faster you get juevos rancheros!
    Have a blessed one.

16. Michael ("Migueligans") Miller says:

Sending much love to you, dear Clark…with a million wishes for many wonderful days ahead…

All the blest,

17. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Clark. Happy Birthday to you. It’s good there is no audio. I was not born to be a singer but I can wish the man that has given his love, many talents and entire life to making the world a much better place my sincere gratitude and appreciation.

I love you both. May the Big Prez continue to give you the wisdom, patience, understanding and courage to forge ahead.

You (both of you) are my heros.

18. Ewan Mains says:

Happy Birthday Clark! Sending you many warm thoughts. x

19. Cliff McMurray says:

Happy Birthday from the “Wheels”
    family!! We are all thinking and praying for you everyday.
    Love, Wheels

20. T. R. says:

Happy Birthday Clark!

The students of my high school jazz ensemble wish you a speedy recovery and the happiest of birthdays. You continue to inspire them just as you continue to inspire me.