Clark Is Home!

When he was released from the hospital, he sang, “Going Home,” all the way through the corridors and he didn’t stop until we were in the car. After being home for a week, some new challenges developed and he had to be readmitted. The next week when things were stabilized, he came home again. He said, “I hope I’ll get to stay at home this time.”

We’re all grateful to God that he’s improving daily. He says, “My biggest challenge, now, is keeping up with my physical therapy.” He smiled before continuing, “I don’t have any ‘shipiphany’ in the house. I’m gonna keep on looking for it until I find it, and then I’ll continue my exercises.”

For the first time in a while, he’s in a joking mood as you can see. There have been no new developments that could require another hospitalization, so I’m sure he’ll do what he should to build up his stamina. He has told me not to make a big fuss about it. He said, “I’ll lace up my bootstraps and wade on through when I’m ready.” The word “feisty” would be an understatement. We can all tell that he’s truly feeling better, and we thank God for that!

As I read each of your messages to him, the smiles on his face are very telling of the joy that you’re bringing. He loves to hear that you’re enjoying his book and his music. Hearing about the fond memories of times that you’ve spent with him really lifts his spirits, too. We sincerely appreciate all of your well wishes and loving prayers.

On February 14th, we’ll be celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary! Since we met twenty-two years ago, we’ve had a great time being on the “merry-go-round” (as he calls it) of Clark’s gigs, and sharing the company of so many incredibly wonderful people. We’re looking forward to many more years together. We’d like for you to celebrate with us, and we hope to see you soon.

The only anniversary gift I’ve requested from him is that we have a photo taken together. When I asked what he would like, he said, “All I want is you, and to stay out of that hospital.”

Please keep the posts coming. They are so healing!

29 Responses to Clark Is Home!

1. Dear Gwen and Clark,
    Happy 20th Anniversary to a wonderful couple. Thank you for all that you do for everyone around you and for the joy you bring.
    Alan and Riina

2. Dear Gwen and Clark,
    Alan and Riina

3. Valerie Takacs says:

What wonderful news – you are finally home! I wish you and Gwen a blessed anniversary and many more years of peace, love and joy!! God bless you both!

Much Love,

4. Jon Harpin says:

Have just finished your fantastic book. Couldn’t put it down, especially when I got to the chapters on Count Basie and Duke Ellington. Your story is a real inspiration- a study of determination and triumph over adversity.
    I wish you well with your recovery.
    Jon Harpin

5. Jack Dennis says:

Dear Clark!! I have been a big fan of yours since seeing you on the Tonite show. Love your recordings and your great sense of humor. I’m 85 myself and still playing my horn. Sooner or later I’ll get it right. You are the best there ever was so don’t ever stop. Saw you in Baltimore last summer and loved you being there with Chris Bottie. One of the bands I play in has a chart on Mumbles and I love doing it.

With love and great respect to a wonderful Trumpet and Fluge player.

Jack Dennis Balt. Md.

• Diane Janik says:

Dear Jack, According to my stepdad Lou Dennison (DiFerdinando) the guitar player, you and Clark are amazing and exceptional trumpet players. He would love to get in touch with you, Jack. His phone # is 954-566-7365. Thanks, Diane Janik

6. Kirsten says:

Dear Mr. Mumbles,

Sure wish I could have heard you singing through the halls! Praying you stay home this time and continue to build strength!

With affection,
    Kirsten—I was one of your nurses!

7. Tom Smith says:

Clark!! You are home, that is GREAT NEWS!! I am reading your book, it is so well written and so interesting, and did I expect anything less, NO!! No less than 3 copies passed through my house at Christmas. Playing at my desk is Duke at the Blue Note 1959, and you are slicing and dicing on Perdidio! An LP I have been enjoying is Lamert Hendricks and Bevan w/You and Coleman Hawkins Live At Newport 1963, wow, that is smoking!!
    I check this site daily, thank you Gwen for your updates, thank you Clark, for spreading so much love around the world. Tom Smith Columbus Ohio

8. Marc Berner says:

So glad to hear you’re in good spirits, Clark. God bless you and Gwen always.

9. Pete Hittle says:

Best wishes Mr. Terry for a continued recovery! God Bless you both on your 20th!

10. Arthur Bowman says:

Hello, “you don’t know me from Adam,” but this post is very comforting to me. Clark brings me SUCH joy when I listen to him. He is one of the all-time greats. I congratulate you both, on your twenty, beautiful years together. Please give Mr. Terry my sincerest wishes for continued health in the days to come. Gwen, you sound like a true saint. Women like you are a blessing to God. Best wishes for you and Clark.

11. Judy says:

Congratulations and best wishes on your 20th wedding anniversary.
    Keep on keepin’ while I finish reading your book!

12. Liz Wiley says:

It always makes my day to hear of you doing well!

Welcome home — and best wishes for a swift and swinging recovery. You’re being thought of by many more hundreds/thousands than you could know! Hugs!

13. Dave says:

Clark… you define the ‘Greatest Generation’… some of the sweetest sounds for the soul ever… lots of love and prayer coming your way…
    One of your ‘jazz fans’ in Oklahoma…

I’m so glad-as are all your musical colleagues here in Vancouver-that you’re back home and ready to “keep on keepin’ on” as only you can. Our nine-piece band played “Samba For CT” in concert on Friday night and we did our best to summon up your powerful musical and personal spirit. You are a daily inspiration!
    Love and blessings,

15. Greg 'REBO'Bobulinski says:

You are ONE STRONG MAN!
    I ran into Bary Harris in NYC. He looks great,
    in good spirits, and we talked about what a
    remarkable man you are CT.
    God Bless You and Gwen.
    You are both greatly loved.
    Hope we get to talk soon.
    With respect and a wish for your peace and happiness,

16. Michael Miller says:

When you’re at home, Clark, all is well in Clarkansas.

And when you and Gwen are together, the world is a much brighter place!

May joy and love continue to fill your days together…

Looking so very forward to seeing you both…

Sending much love,

17. Wendell Gault says:

Hey Clark,

So glad to hear that you busted out;). Your spirit is just too big to be contained in a hospital for very long! In addition to your mastery of the horn, you are truly the master of “keep on keepin’ on!”

My very best wishes to you and Gwen as your anniversary approaches!

18. MC from Paris says:

My very best wishes to you two on your wedding anniversary!
    And again all my wishes of health and joy!
    Physical therapy can be exhausting and boring, but Mr Terry is so strong and full of character that he’ll improve in no time I’m sure!

Sending you much love from Paris.

19. James Barela says:

Great news! Glad you’re home and feeling better. We all love you and think of you everyday.

James Barela

20. Steve Hemsworth says:

Great news, all the best.